Academic Catalog

Special Education: Secondary Certification (BA)

Program Description

The Special Education major with teacher certification will develop you into a teacher with the knowledge and skills to design and implement appropriate education for students with disabilities. You must major in either Special Education: Elementary Emphasis with Certification or Special Education: Secondary Emphasis with Certification.

To become a P–12 certified Washington state Special Education teacher, you must complete the Elementary Emphasis with Certification or the Secondary Emphasis with Certification, which requires admission to the School of Education as well as to your major. You will also be required to complete additional content at SPU to receive a dual endorsement as mandated by the state. Your faculty advisor and the certification officer in the School of Education will guide you through these requirements and processes. Contact them for guidance as soon as possible once you enroll at SPU.

Second Endorsement: Secondary

Washington state requires that teacher candidates pursuing an endorsement in Special Education must also earn a second endorsement (e.g., Elementary Education, English Language Arts, Math, etc.) in order to receive their Residency Teacher Certificate. While the Special Education endorsement qualifies students to teach in a P-12 setting, the second endorsement area needs to be earned either at the elementary level (kindergarten through 8th grade) or the secondary level (middle school or high school).

You will need to choose either the Elementary Emphasis track or the Secondary Emphasis track in the major, based on the second endorsement area you will complete. If you are not sure which endorsement or emphasis track they should pursue, contact the Special Education major advisor or the Certification Office for assistance in deciding.

If you would like your second endorsement to be at the middle school or high school level, you may select between English Language Arts or Math. If you are interested in a different endorsement area, contact the Certification Office to discuss what other options may be available.

You will need to meet the minimum content knowledge for your chosen second endorsement. This consists of approximately 30 additional credits for either the English Language Arts endorsement or the Math endorsement. The required courses for the English Language Arts endorsement can be found in the section called Certification—English Language Arts Content Courses on this document. For the Math endorsement, please contact the Certification Office to determine what courses are required. Note that a grade of ‘C’ or better is required for all classes going towards certification, regardless of major requirements. Transfer students may be able to take fewer courses than listed, depending on courses transferred to SPU.

Washington state requires that teacher candidates meet a specific set of competencies through their coursework. These competencies can change, so it is important to work with the Certification Office to ensure classes are currently appropriate to fulfill state requirements. Make an appointment with the certification advisor as soon as possible to develop a plan of study by stopping by the front SOE office in Peterson Hall 300 or emailing the Certification Office.