Academic Catalog

Secondary Certification

Program Description

Students seeking secondary certification (middle school and high school teachers) will major in a content area aligned to their desired teaching endorsement. Students will also enroll in the residency teacher certification program in order to earn their WA state teaching certificate. Students seeking secondary certification at SPU should meet with the certification office in the School of Education no later than their sophomore year or the first quarter at SPU for transfer students. 

Students who would like to be endorsed in two areas (eg: History and English Language Arts) do not need to double major but do need to take a specific set of coursework to meet state requirements in the second endorsement. Students should set a meeting with the certification office as soon as possible to plan for these courses.